lengths of comfy verdure

i like to sit back, relax and opine.

Saturday, April 05, 2008

spring 2008

The magnolias I photographed a couple days ago are in full bloom today. I may have made a mini-scene climbing the fence to smell them.
But Spring is finally here. Every year I forget how badly the lack of sun affects me. Until I suddenly start to feel better as the equinox nears. My friend, Tom, a gardener, hangs out in a greenhouse as much as he can in winter, and Warren and I visited him in CT a few weeks ago and sure enough felt the restorative effects.


This tropical tree only blooms in the winter.
IMG_0896
IMG_0859
And then I attended a seminar at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden on growing food in the city just recently and took the opportunity to sneak into their fantastic greenhouses.

This is vanilla.

My heirloom tomato plant is due to arrive on Monday, and I will make room on the fire escape, amidst all of Warren's houseplants, for some strawberries too. Next year I plan to raise chickens.

3 Comments:

At 11:03 PM, Blogger keli said...

I am going to raise chickens (hopefully next year) too! A hen will lay about 3-4 eggs per week on average. I might get about 8 hens and one rooster. Where will yours live?

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger chartreuse velour said...

we are planning on moving this summer, so i hope to have a significant back yard. but if we don't, nyc has started a program to raise chickens in community gardens. it takes 3 volunteers to commit to their care and the city will build a coop for you!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger keli said...

moving?!? can't wait to hear more about it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home