lengths of comfy verdure

i like to sit back, relax and opine.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

my ancestor


my aunt recently asked my mom what she should bring me from korea for my wedding next summer. i told her to tell my aunt that i want a document my dad mentioned once that traces her family all the way back to this gentleman, choe chi won. i particularly want to see the black mark where my mom's name was. they scratched her name off when she married my dad, who is, not only not of noble birth, but white. choe chi won was a famous, some believe immortal, ninth century scholar, statesman and poet.

4 Comments:

At 5:59 AM, Blogger OCPD said...

That is way cool. I was amazed yesterday as my dad had a document from the 1400s about my family. Being able to trace yours back to 800 and before is unbelieveable!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Margaret Dodge said...

I see the resemblance. Is that an early mullet he is sporting?

Some ancestor of mine was written off in a family history book as deceased at age 22, but that's just the age at which she married a Catholic.

 
At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh cool. another half asian girl!

i supposedly have a direct blood line to a samarai. but i don't know his name. or have a picture. i should investigate that.

 
At 10:55 PM, Anonymous Alex said...

I'm half Korean too, and my Mom's also descended from Choi Chi-won!! I visited his shrine near Pusan a couple of years ago. I was googling him and stumbled across your blog!

Did you ever get a copy of the family tree? We have a copy but I can't make heads or tails of it (it's in Chinese).

Would be great to hear from you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home