lengths of comfy verdure

i like to sit back, relax and opine.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

my foot broke

i was walking up second avenue with my dog, and all of a sudden, i felt a terrible pain. i looked down and realized that there was something on my foot. i started screaming because it hurt so much. the busboy, i'm assuming he was a busboy, picked the barrier off of my foot and continued to set the tables and put out chairs at the sidewalk cafe i had been passing by. apparently the barrier between the sidewalk tables and the sidewalk had fallen onto my foot. it was metal and probably very heavy. the busboy scolded me, i guess for walking by, as i cried immobilized by pain and frightened by the blood that had begun to ooze. i asked him for a napkin or paper towel. he yelled at me some more, and then i said maybe i should call the police and he took off running. i didn't get a good look at him because i was looking horrified at my foot which had developed bizarre purple streaks on it and was bleeding. a crowd formed and called the police and an ambulance. i screamed over and over that i didn't want the guy to get in trouble, that it was an accident. so the cops left. i also insisted that i did not want to go in the ambulance since i didn't have health insurance. i was just going to go in a cab to the hospital. i didn't think i would end up having an expensive hospital bill, so i didn't bother to gather any information. i heard one witness say to the police that he saw the guy run away, and he was wearing a white tank top. the ambulance ladies made me sit down in a chair and calm down because i was crying hysterically. they said it didn't look bad and that i probably didn't even need to go to the hospital. i started to try to walk home, which was just around the corner, but i couldn't walk on my foot. the ambulance gave me a ride home. i made it up the stairs to my apartment by using the railings and called my family. after a half hour, it still hadn't stopped bleeding, so i went to the hospital in a cab.

they said my foot was broken and put a cast on it. my husband had returned by then from CT, so i took the second half of my dose of oxycodone, learned how to use crutches, and we got a cab home.

i don't believe in god, but it is true that i am going to have to really take a break now and try not to do anything for a while. the doctors were going to put a splint on my foot at first, but i think i heard them say they wanted to put a cast on it instead to slow me down. the fucking thing is huge and heavy, and i am exhausted from washing myself in the tub with the hose we use for mimi.

i didn't even want to post this until i uploaded a picture of my cast, but since just getting across the room involves way too much effort unless it's to pee, i decided to just do this while i'm here at the desk getting the number for the hospital so i can find out how much this is going to cost. i had to have coffee delivered this morning! we have to hire a dog walker!

10 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger LORMO said...

Dude. That sucks so bad.

At least you got good pills out of the deal!

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Mop said...

Oh. My. God. I am having sympathy pains just thinking about your foot.

I really, REALLY hope you get the restaurant to pay for it.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Mop said...

Oh, that was me, Anne. I forgot that little blogger name I have.

You and Lori really should do a photo shoot or something while you're all banged up. Injured girls are HOTT.

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so second Anne's photo shoot suggestion. I wanna take pictured of y'all and send 'em home, claiming I'm friends with fighty terrorists.

So sorry you had to go through all that, though.

--Sarah

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Chompers said...

that's terrible, and i'm very glad your dog is OK. why do people have to be so mean?

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger chartreuse velour said...

i just spent 3 hours getting the runaround. on crutches. i hate humans. except for you guys. thanks for making me feel better.

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap, CV. Ugh, a broken foot is such a pain in the ass in this city. Feel better.

That restaurant should definitely be paying for this, man.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Alan Kaula said...

ouch... reminds me of the time a cab ran over my foot...hope you're better now.

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Badecca said...

holy crap. you know - I never heard the whole story. this is just horrible. And I've been sitting around feeling sorry for myself because of my root canal... but I don't have to walk up my stairs on my teeth.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Beehive Hairdresser said...

Wow CV. I hope that you're planning on a lawsuit to cover your medical bills, pain and suffering on the crutches/doctor forced bed rest.

Seriously...that's what restaurant and building owner insurance is there for.

-BIJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home